Utilities in Mineola
Telephone service in Mineola began in 1896 and was owned by Mr. Garrett. The service operated during the day by the Garrett family and at night by E.A. Reeves. The service, named "The Globe," was a one-phone operation with runners who delivered the messages. In 1897, the Mineola Telephone Company was established by H.P. Davis who operated the service until 1902 when it was purchased by Southwestern Bell.
The city has enjoyed the advantages of natural gas since 1927. United Gas Company began in Mineola in 1930 by Latex Gas Company who later consolidated with United Gas Corporation. To build
The first electric plant, established in 1897 by the Tilley Brothers Electric Company, shared facilities with the R.J. Smith Chair Factory and was contracted to install arc lights on the streets of Mineola. As the foundation of a city, infrastructure and utility services assisted in the development of Mineola.
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18494.)
Location. 32° 41.155′ N, 95° 29.014′ W. Marker is in Mineola, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of North Pacific Street (Texas Route 37) and Shady Lane, on the right when traveling north on North Pacific Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1824 North Pacific Street, Mineola TX 75773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mineola Fire Department (approx. 0.7 miles away); Callaway House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Harry W. Meredith (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mineola Public Library (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mineola Schools
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Events •
More. Search the internet for Utilities in Mineola.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.