Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarksville City in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Point Pleasant

 
 
Point Pleasant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
1. Point Pleasant Marker
Inscription.  From about 1850 until 1871, a post office, which served the Point Pleasant community, operated near this site. The area was known as Gilead under the first postmaster, L. B. Camp, who earlier had established a ferry crossing the Sabine River (2 mi. W). when the name Point Pleasant was adopted in 1852, J. K. Armstrong (d. 1860) was named postmaster.

Other postmasters who served Point Pleasant were William W. Walters (d. 1885), who operated the stage stop where the post office was located, Claiborn Halbert, and Joshua W. Monk. Elisha A. Mackey was Point Pleasant's last official postmaster. During its 21 years of existence the Point Pleasant Post Office served approximately 48 families including those of Jarret Dean, James Hendrick, Mason Moseley, Augustus Moseley, A. H. Abney, A. C. Williams, Jacob M. Lacy, A. G. Rogers, and A. T. Wright. The Point Pleasant School (called Possom Trot and still operating in 1908 with Trustees R. A. Hendrix, E. W. Clements, and Mr. Phillips) and Moseley Cemetery also served these pioneers.

When the railroad came through in 1873, the new towns of Gladewater and Longview drew residents away from the Point

Point Pleasant Marker in front of the City Hall of Clarksville City. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
2. Point Pleasant Marker in front of the City Hall of Clarksville City.
Pleasant area. Clarksville City, created by the 1931 East Texas oil boom, later developed at the site of the Point Pleasant community.

Incise on back: In memory of our mother Minnie Clements Phillips (1892-1973)
 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9989.)
 
Location. 32° 31.708′ N, 94° 53.919′ W. Marker is in Clarksville City, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 80 and White Street, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 80. Located in front of Clarksville City City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 631 US-80, White Oak TX 75693, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rosedale Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); White Oak Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); White Oak Independent School District (approx. 2.2 miles away); Cherokee Trace (approx. 2.3 miles away); Foshee Family Homestead (approx. 2.6 miles away); Dr. E. L. and Nannie Lewis Walker House (approx. 2.6 miles away); John Ben Shepperd (approx. 2.7 miles away); Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 2.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable PlacesRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels

 

More. Search the internet for Point Pleasant.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement