San Gabriel in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
San Gabriel Mission
San Gabriel Mission was founded by Fr. Pedro Benito Cambon (statue above right) and Fr. Angel Fernandez de la Somera (statue above left) on Sept. 8, 1771 in nearby Montebello by the Rio Hondo River, and moved to this location in 1775. This mission's Cross above the entrance door was first installed about 1959, taken down for earthquake retrofit in early 1990's, was restored and rededicated on March 7, 2009 at 11 a.m. The El Camino Real bell in front of the church was cast, and then placed here on Aug. 15, 1906, by Los Angeles Section, El Camino Real Association.
Erected 2009 by El Camino Real Association. (Marker Number 158.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the El Camino Real, “The King's Highway” (California) series lists.
Location. 34° 5.8′ N, 118° 6.392′ W. Marker is in San Gabriel, California, in Los Angeles CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 428 South Mission Drive, San Gabriel CA 91776, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named San Gabriel Mission (a few steps from this marker); Old Spanish Trail (a few steps from this marker); Mission San Gabriel Archangel / El Camino Real Door (a few steps from this marker); Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza (a few steps from this marker); 1776 Overland Immigration Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Chapman’s Millrace (within shouting distance of this marker); Chapman’s Mill and Millrace (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Casa Vieja de Lopez (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Gabriel.
Regarding San Gabriel Mission. This is California Historical Landmark No. 158 -- Mission San Gabriel Arcangel.
California Historical Landmark Statement of Significance: The mission was founded September 8, 1771 by Padres Pedro Benito Cambon and Angel Fernández de la Somera. The present church building was begun during the latter part of the 18th century and completed in the year 1800.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 753 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on September 7, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 14, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.