Woodstock in Carleton County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Women's Institute Home / Maison de l'Institut féminin
129 Chapel Street / 129, rue Chapel
The Women's Institute is a Canadian innovation, founded at the close of the 19th century as a discussion and action group for rural women. New Brunswick's WI was organized in 1911, at about the same time as Woodstock merchant Alex Benn was moving into his newly built Chapel Street home.
In 1951, the NBWI purchased the Benn house as a retirement home for elderly members, meeting part of the cost from sales of 20,000 copies of its Victory Women’s Institute Cookbook. Opened two years later, the WI Home was not only the first of its kind in Canada, it was the first, and remains the only, WI Home in the world.
ĽInstitut féminin est une innovation canadienne fondée à la fin du 19e siècle comme groupe de discussion et d'action pour les femmes des régions rurales. L'Institut féminin du Nouveau-Brunswick a été organisé en 1911, presqu'au même moment que le marchand de Woodstock, Alex Benn, déménageait dans sa nouvelle maison sur la rue Chapel.
En 1951, l'Institut féminin du Nouveau-Brunswick a acheté la maison Benn comme maison de retraite pour les
Erected by Woodstock — New Brunswick's First Town / La première ville du Nouveau-Brunswick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 46° 9.134′ N, 67° 34.64′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, New Brunswick, in Carleton County. Marker is on Chapel Street west of Orange Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 Chapel Street, Woodstock NB E7M 1G7, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bailey House / Maison Bailey (a few steps from this marker); McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean (a few steps from this marker); Methodist Parsonage / Presbytère méthodiste (within shouting distance of this marker); Flemming House / La Maison Flemming (within shouting distance of this marker); L.P. Fisher Vocational School / École professionnelle L.P. FisherWolverton House / Maison Wolverton (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Brown House / Maison du Dr. Brown (about 90 meters away); Saint James United Church / Église unie Saint James (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.