Standard Filling Station No. 1
Standard Oil Company
The son of a poor Presbyterian Minister, who left school at age 14 to become a salesman, and an assistant bookkeeper, became partners in 1867. The men, Henry M. Flagler and John D. Rockefeller and three partners, created the company they would name the Standard Oil Company. Both men were innovative business strategists. Flagler developed a new concept, “the rebate system” to strengthen the company’s position against competitors. “Rebate” is used in many businesses to this day. Flagler founded the Florida East Coast Railway and Rockefeller eventually became the richest man in modern history. Standard Oil was one of the world’s largest
Standard Oil of Kentucky (KYSO) was formed in 1911 as an independent oil company because they had no oil refineries or exploration. Principle products were kerosene, axle-grease, stove oil and lubricants. KYSO products were marketed in 5 states, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, and Mississippi.
Early Automotive Days
In the early Twentieth Century as transportation shifted from the horse drawn wagon to the private car, automobile clubs formed and began to build better, safer roads. One of the early uses of the automobile was tourism, as people had both leisure time and the means to travel the country. South Central Kentucky had local historical and natural wonder destinations like Mammoth Cave, and was on the route to Florida. The Dixie Highway (now US Highway 31W) was originally a project of one of these automobile clubs.
First Neighborhood Station
Early entrepreneurs sold gasoline and kerosene curb side, often from the front of their home or store. The quality of this fuel was less than ideal, so oil companies created the Filling Station in an effort to provide their customers a sense of reliability and quality control. Built between 1920 and 1929, these “domestic style filling stations” were designed to blend with the scale and
The restoration of Standard Filling Station No. 1 was completed in 2008 and represents the building as it operated in the 1920s. The pumps are replicas of Wayne 615 Visible 10-gallon gas pumps. Crown Gasoline, a product of the Standard Oil Company was sold here and was available in both Ethyl and Regular. The Eco 44 Air pump filled many Model T automobile tires and a few bicycles tires too. The free standing Standard Oil Company sign is a replica of the original sign that stood on College Street.
(Captions for inset photos)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 36° 59.73′ N, 86° 26.325′ W. Marker is in Bowling Green, Kentucky, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of East 7th Street and College Street, on the right when traveling north on East 7th Street. Marker is located in Circus Square Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bowling Green KY 42101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cecelia Memorial Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); An African American Neighborhood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Residential Architecture (about 300 feet away); College Street Commercial Development (about 300 feet away); Lower College Street (about 300 feet away); Modern Automotive District (about 300 feet away); Fountain Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morris Jewelry (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowling Green.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2019, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2019, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.