Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Gilmer in Upshur County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Ragland Clinic-Hospital

 
 
Ragland Clinic-Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
1. Ragland Clinic-Hospital Marker
Inscription.  In 1933, the Ragland family opened the first full-time hospital in Upshur County. Thomas Scott Ragland, M.D. (1872 – 1936) came to Texas in 1895; he settled in Gilmer in 1902 with his wife, Mamie Helen (Denson). In addition to serving as the community physician, Ragland was a local surgeon for railroads, a businessman, and president of First National Bank. He worked together with his two sons, Madison Scott (1905 – 1986) and Hugh Mayo Ragland (1907 – 1966), who joined his practice after they finished their medical training. In 1933, the doctors purchased property on Cass Street and built a hospital and clinic to serve Gilmer and the surrounding areas.

The Ragland Clinic-Hospital expanded several times. The first expansion (1935) included nine additional hospital rooms and beds. In the second (1946), the Raglands added a new north wing with upstairs rooms, a dietary kitchen and a pharmacy. A 1953 expansion added more bedrooms

Ragland Clinic-Hospital Marker at former site. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
2. Ragland Clinic-Hospital Marker at former site.
and treatment facilities, and the final one (1957) increased in-room patient capacity and added a doctors’ office wing. Additional staff joined through the years, including Drs. J. Looney Fenlaw (1912 – 1992) and Tedroe J. Ford (1928 – 1980). The institution changed names to Ragland-Fenlaw Clinic-Hospital and then to Ragland-Fenlaw-Ford clinic and Gilmer Hospital to reflect the additional physicians. Besides directly serving patients, the institution created a successful licensed vocation nursing program to address the critical shortage of nurse retention during World War II. The institution continued to serve as the only general medical facility in Upshur County until it closed in 1981, when a new regional medical center opened.
 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16516.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & MedicineWar, World II.
 
Location. 32° 43.851′ N, 94° 56.719′ W. Marker is in Gilmer, Texas, in Upshur County. Marker is on West Cass Street near Davis Street
Ragland Hospital Marker stone marker at foot of this marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
3. Ragland Hospital Marker stone marker at foot of this marker.
, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 West Cass Street, Gilmer TX 75644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C.S.A Hat Factory (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Upshur County Bell (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Gilmer (about 500 feet away); The Looney School (about 500 feet away); 1925 Gilmer Post Office (about 700 feet away); Upshur County, C. S. A. / Emma Sampson Johnson (about 700 feet away); Cherokee Trace (about 800 feet away); Sam Houston Spoke Here (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilmer.
 
Also see . . .  Gilmer Mirror article on dedication of marker. (Submitted on September 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2020