Cassville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site - Cassville Female College
A large brick structure erected 1853.
Battery C, 1st Ohio Lt. Art., supported by 73d Ohio, 19th Mich. & 20th Conn. Reg’ts. [US] occupied ridge & shelled the town as Johnston's Army [CS] withdrew to ridge E. of it.
At night Cassville was seized by the 19th Mich. & 20th Conn. Female College & town were burned by Federal forces, Nov. 1864.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historic Commission. (Marker Number 008-21.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, US Civil • Women. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1766.
Location. 34° 14.935′ N, 84° 51.444′ W. Marker is in Cassville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of Joe Frank Harris Parkway (U.S. 41) and Willow Lane NW, on the right when traveling north on Joe Frank Harris Parkway. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Army of Tenn. at Cassville (here, next to this marker); Noble Hill Rosenwald School (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Cassville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Town Of Cassville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site - Cherokee Baptist College (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Dead (approx. 0.7 miles away); Grave of Gen. William Tatum Wofford (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Memorial Cassville Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cassville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,681 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.