Québec in Communauté-Urbaine-de-Québec, — Central Canada (French-Canadian)
L'Immigration des Filles du Roi en Nouvelle-France / Immigration of the Filles du Roi to New France
De 1663 à 1673, quelque huit cents filles du roi immigrent en Nouvelle-France dans le but de s’y marier et d’y fonder une famille. Ces Françaises, pour la plupart des orphelins sans le sou, voient leur passage et leur établissement finances par l’État. Cette politique de peuplement de l’administration royale vise à accroître la population française de cette colonie aux prises avec un grave déséquilibre hommes-femmes. Formant près de la moitié des femmes qui s’établissent en Nouvelle-France, les filles du roi ont grandement contribué à l'implantation d'une présence française en Amérique du Nord.
From 1663 to 1673, some 800 “filles du roi” immigrated to New France for the purpose of marrying and starting families. These French women, most of whom were impoverished orphans, had their passage and settlement expenses paid by the government. This Royal administrative policy aimed to stimulate the growth of the French population of the colony, which was struggling with a numerical imbalance between men and women. Accounting for nearly half of the women who settled
Erected by Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada et Parcs Canada/Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada and Parks Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Women. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 46° 48.733′ N, 71° 12.19′ W. Marker is in Québec, in Communauté-Urbaine-de-Québec. Marker is at the intersection of Rue du Marché-Champlain (Quebec Route 136) and Rue du Cul-de-sac, on the right when traveling west on Rue du Marché-Champlain. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, near the southwest corner of Maison Jean-Baptiste-Chevalier (Hôtel Chevalier). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 Rue du Marché-Champlain, Québec G1K 4E8, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hôtel Chevalier (a few steps from this marker); Hommage à Pierre et Gabriel LeMieux (within shouting distance of this marker); Maison Jean-Demers (within shouting distance of this marker); Mathieu d'Amours (within shouting distance of this marker); Funiculaire / FunicularLouis Jolliet (within shouting distance of this marker); Louis Jolliet House (within shouting distance of this marker); L'Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Québec.
Also see . . .
1. The King's Daughters (Wikipedia). The “King's Daughters” (Français: filles du roi) is a term used to refer to the approximately 800 young French women who immigrated to New France between 1663 and 1673 as part of a program sponsored by King Louis XIV of France. The program was designed to boost New France's population both by encouraging male immigrants to settle there, and by promoting marriage, family formation and the birth of children. (Submitted on September 14, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Filles du Roi — “Daughters of the King”. When selecting a Fille du Roi, the suitor looked beyond outward appearances and considered the practical attributes of a bride that would be adapted or disposed to the rigors of the colony. The preference seems to have been for peasant girls because they were healthy and industrious, as opposed to city girls who were often considered lightheaded and lazy. Marie de l’Incarnation, mother superior of the Ursuline convent at Québec City and one of Québec’s early female founders, requested in 1668: “From now on, we only want to ask for village girls who are as fit for work as men, experience having shown that those who are not raised [in the country] are not fit for this country.” (Submitted on September 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 135 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.