Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trinidad in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

A New Home!

Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse

 
 
A New Home! Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 9, 2019
1. A New Home! Marker
Inscription.  
The Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse is one of the most iconic landmarks on the North Coast and a beloved, historical symbol of the Trinidad community. The structure was built in 1949 as a replica of the original 1871 Trinidad Lighthouse, which remains a navigational aid on Trinidad Head. (Visit the Trinidad Head Lighthouse on the first Saturday of every month, 10 am to noon-- pedestrian access only.)

Coastal erosion and heavy rainfall in the winter of 2017 undermined the stability of the land near the (Memorial) Lighthouse at its original location overlooking Trinidad Bay. Engineering geologists advised the relocation of the Memorial Lighthouse. It was moved on January 10, 2018 to this temporary location.

The original Memorial site include engraved granite plaques and commemorates the lives of over 250 people who have been lost or buried at sea. The historic 1898, 4,000 pound fog bell, entrusted to the care of the Trinidad Civic Club by the United States Coast Guard, now resides at this location with the Memorial Lighthouse.

The Trinidad Civic Club's mission is to develop a permanent installation at this
Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse, fog bell, and marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 9, 2019
2. Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse, fog bell, and marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
harbor site that will include the Lighthouse and the historic bell. The partnership of the Cher-ae Heights Indian Community of Trinidad Rancheria and the Yurok Tribe with the Civic Club is instrumental in providing resources and assistance for this endeavor.

The Civic Club has undertaken a major fundraising campaign for the Memorial Lighthouse Project. The support of the local Trinidad community and Humboldt County residents is essential to complete this undertaking.

Visit Trinidad Civic Club's website to learn more about efforts to restore the Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse and contribute to or participate in the preservation of this historic landmark.
 
Erected 2012 by Trinidad Civic Club.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 41° 3.437′ N, 124° 8.926′ W. Marker was in Trinidad, California, in Humboldt County. Marker was on Lighthouse Road near Bay Street. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 960 Lighthouse Road, Trinidad CA 95570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this location, measured as the
Marker is missing image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Baker, September 13, 2021
3. Marker is missing
crow flies. Town of Trinidad (approx. Ό mile away); Holy Trinity Church (approx. Ό mile away); Spain Claims Northern California (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tsurai (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Z. Hegy (approx. 4.6 miles away); Camp Curtis (approx. 12.1 miles away); The Tall Tree (approx. 12.6 miles away); Minor Theatre (approx. 13.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trinidad.
 
More about this marker. Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse is located in Trinidad Head parking lot.
 
Lost At Sea image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Baker, September 13, 2021
4. Lost At Sea
Memorial marker on back of the lighthouse.
Beach view from above the Trinidad Head parking lot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 9, 2019
5. Beach view from above the Trinidad Head parking lot
Cross on the hill image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Baker, September 13, 2021
6. Cross on the hill
Installed in 1775, replaced in 1913.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.   3, 4. submitted on September 13, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.   5. submitted on September 13, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.   6. submitted on September 13, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=139525

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 16, 2022