Halifax in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
St. Paul’s Church / Église St. Pauls
Completed in 1750, St. Paul’s was the first church outside Great Britain to be designated as an Anglican cathedral. Between 1787 and 1864 it served as the cathedral church of the See of Nova Scotia. For 96 years St. Paul’s was also the official garrison church for the army and navy establishment. The design of the building is based on that of St. Peter’s, Vere Street, London, England, by James Gibbs. St. Paul’s is the first building erected in the Palladian style in Canada. Despite the addition of wings and chancel, the original wooden frame, pre-cut in Boston, still forms the main body of the church.
Achevée en 1750 et attachée au service de l’évêché de la Nouvelle-Écosse entre 1787 et 1864, l'église St. Paul's fut la première à recevoir, hors de la Grande-Bretagne, le titre de cathédrale anglicane. Durant 96 ans, elle fut utilisée par les soldats et les marins en garnison à Halifax. Dans sa composition, l’édifice reproduit l'église St. Peter's de la rue Vere à Londres, conçue par James Gibbs. L'église St. Paul's est le premier bâtiment de style palladien érigé au Canada.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 44° 38.859′ N, 63° 34.486′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker can be reached from Argyle Street just north of Prince Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located at the south end of the Grand Parade, between Argyle and Barrington streets, directly in front of Saint Paul's Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1749 Argyle Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3K4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Grand Parade (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); South African War Monument (about 120 meters away); "Old" Dalhousie and the Grand Parade (about 120 meters away); Halifax City Hall / Hôtel de ville d'Halifax (about 120 meters away); Province House (about The Explosion Clock (about 180 meters away); Celtic Cross (about 210 meters away); Gilbert Stuart Newton (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
Also see . . . History of St. Paul's Anglican Church. From the central location on the South end of the Grand Parade, in the very heart of the new community, St. Paul’s from its very beginnings occupied a central place in the social, religious and political fabric of the city of Halifax. Many of the community’s early prominent leaders and citizens are buried beneath the church, including five Lieutenant Governors, and many political and military figures. (Submitted on September 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.