Burlington in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of Alamance Monument
The inscription on the monument refers to the Battle of Alamance as the "first battle of the American Revolution." Such a statement indicates the importance to the community of placing one of its most significant events in a broader and national historic context, even though many of the Regulators actually remained loyal to Great Britain during the Revolution.
The monument, constructed of granite from a county quarry, remained at the corner of modern day NC. Highway and Clapp Mill road until it was moved to its current location around 1952. Alamance Battlefield officially opened as a state historic site on May 16, 1961 marking the 190th anniversary of the Battle of Alamance.
Members of the North Carolina National Guard attempted to portray Governor Tryon's militia at the 1880 monument during Alamance County's Centennial Celebration in 1949.
Background: This plat was drawn by an Alamance County surveyor in 1926, showing the original parcel purchased for the monument.
Organizers presented this Regulator Bell, supposedly used by the Regulators at the Battle of Alamance, to Reverend Long at the monument's dedication. They referred to it as "the first Liberty Bell in America." It would later be exhibited at the Tennessee Centennial in 1896 and the Jamestown Exposition in 1907. The bell is now at the North Carolina Museum of History in Raleigh.
The monument in the early 1900s.
Workers reinstalling the monument at its current location in the 1950s.
This June 2, 1880, Alamance Gleaner article describes the festivities surrounding the monument dedication.
This display was made possible by the Alamance Battlefield Friends and the Alamance Long Rifles.
Erected by The Alamance Battlefield Friends and the Alamance Long Rifles.
Topics. This historical marker monument is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Patriots & PatriotismWar, US Revolutionary.
Location. 36° 0.513′ N, 79° 31.252′ W. Marker is in Burlington, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is on State Highway 62 0.1 miles east of Clapp Mill Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5803 NC-62 S, Burlington NC 27215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Alamance (here, next to this marker); First Battle of the Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Pugh's Rock (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Tryon and the Militia (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Column (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Battle of Alamance (about 300 feet away); The Battle of the Alamance (about 300 feet away); The Regulators' Field (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
Also see . . . . (Submitted on September 18, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2019. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 18, 2019. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.