Fredericton in York County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
First Ministry of Health / Le Premier Ministère de la Santé
The Legislature of New Brunswick, recognizing the growing importance of health as a matter of public concern, established, in 1918, a department of government with specific and exclusive responsibilities in that field. The leading advocate of this important innovation was W.F. Roberts, M.D., who became first Minister of Health. The concept was later adopted in other parts of Canada and, indeed, throughout the world.
Devant l'intérêt croissant du public face à la question de la santé, le Parlement du Nouveau-Brunswick créa en 1918 un ministère qu'il affecta exclusivement à ce domaine. Le promoteur de cette innovation, le docteur W.F. Roberts, devint le premier ministre de la Santé. Les autres provinces du Canada et bientôt les pays étrangers suivirent l'exemple du Nouveau-Brunswick.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1918.
Location. 45° 57.579′ N, 66° 38.194′ W. Marker is in Fredericton, New Brunswick, in York County. Marker can be reached from St. John Street south of Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102), on the left when traveling south. Marker is mounted on the south-facing side of a four-sided monument located on the west side of the New Brunswick Legislative Assembly grounds, near the northwest corner of the Assembly building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 706 Queen Street, Fredericton NB E3B 1C5, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Fisher (here, next to this marker); Sir Howard Douglas (here, next to this marker); Lemuel Allan Wilmot (here, next to this marker); Legislative Assembly Block / Complexe de L'Assemblée Législative (within shouting distance of this marker); York County Court House / Le Palais de Justice du Comté de York (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Christ Church Cathedral / Cathédrale Christ Church (about 210 meters away); New Brunswick's 104th Regiment of Foot The Right Honourable William Maxwell Lord Beaverbrook (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericton.
Also see . . . New Brunswick Department of Health (Wikipedia). The department was first established in 1918 as the Department of Health and Labour and gradually grew in importance, splitting in two in 1944 with one section becoming the Department of Health. The department eventually came to be named the Department of Health and Community Services as it gained responsibility for new programs such as long-term care in nursing homes, local psychological services and so on. (Submitted on September 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.