Shreveport in Caddo Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
First Jewish Cemetery
— Shreveport —
The Hebrew Benevolent Assn. of Shreveport purchased a quarter acre of Oakland Cemetery from the city in July, 1858. The resulting Jewish cemetery was Shreveport's first and Louisiana's fifth. This cemetery was used exclusively from 1858-1886 and intermittenly from 1886-1950.
Erected by The Shreveport-Bossier Convention and Tourist Bureau.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 32° 30.575′ N, 93° 45.273′ W. Marker is in Shreveport, Louisiana, in Caddo Parish. Marker is on Sprague Street 0.3 miles west of Douglas Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shreveport LA 71101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oakland Cemetery (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sprague Street Row (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Oakland Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Mr. Brooks (about 600 feet away); Elvis Presley (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist ChurchJames Burton (about 700 feet away); Justin Gras (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shreveport.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 21, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 92 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.