Near Decatur in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site: J. Oliver Powell House Sherman's H'dq'rs
Sherman traveled with Schofield's 23d A.C. from the Chattahoochee River as Power's Fy. July 17 & arrived here July 19.
The house was used as a temporary hospital while the 23d A.C. was in this vicinity. Cox's (3d) div. moved to the Paden plantation (Emory University); Hascall's (2d) div., together with Dodge's 16th A.C. occupied Decatur after a conflict with the defenders of the town - a detachment of Wheeler's cavalry (CS).
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-24.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 47.796′ N, 84° 18.362′ W. Marker is near Decatur, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Clairmont Road (Georgia Route 155) half a mile north of N. Decatur Road, on the right when traveling south. This marker is located on the bank of the road, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1481 Clairmont Road, Decatur GA 30030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hardman Family Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dr. Chapmon Powell’s “Medicine House” and W.J. Houston Plantation (approx. half a mile away); Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs (approx. one mile away); The 16th & 23d Corps March to Decatur (approx. 1.1 miles away); Historic Decatur Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away); July 22, 1864 (approx. 1½ miles away); Steatite Boulder (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Site: J. Oliver Powell House Sherman's H'dq'rs.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,942 times since then. Last updated on December 1, 2008, by Charles T. Sills of Loganville, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.