Fredericton in York County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Fredericton Military Compound / Le Complexe Militaire de Frédéricton
This building is one of four remaining structures of the British establishment which housed the garrison at Fredericton from 1784 until the withdrawal of Imperial troops in 1869. Occupying the area between York and Regent Streets, the Compound enclosed over fifty buildings. The Soldiers’ Stone Barracks (1826), Guard House (1828), Militia Arms Store (1832) and Officers’ Quarters (1840 and 1853) survive as reminders of an important military establishment and its contribution to the early character and development of New Brunswick.
Ce bâtiment est l'un des quatre ouvrages encore en existence dans ce complexe militaire britannique, où logea la garnison de Frédéricton de 1784 jusqu'au retrait des troupes impériales en 1869. Situé entre le les rues York et Regent, le camp comprenait plus de cinquante bâtiments. La caserne de pierre (1826), le corps de garde (1828), le dépôt d'armes (1832) et le logement des officiers (1840 et 1853) sont les vestiges de l’important poste militaire qui a influé sue les débuts du Nouveau-Brunswick et sur son évolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Man-Made Features. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1784.
Location. 45° 57.756′ N, 66° 38.441′ W. Marker is in Fredericton, New Brunswick, in York County. Marker is on Rue Carleton Street north of Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102), on the left when traveling north. Marker is mounted at eye-level on the east side of the Guard House, facing Rue Carleton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15 Rue Carleton Street, Fredericton NB E3B 3T1, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 104th Regiment / Le 104e Régiment (within shouting distance of this marker); Anatomy of the Guard (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Charles Rainsford's Brave Rescue (about 120 meters away); Juliana Horatia (Gatty) Ewing (about 120 meters away); Birthplace of the Canadian Army (about 120 meters away); Epic Winter March of New Brunswick Soldiers in the War of 1812 (about 120 meters away); The Right Honourable William Maxwell Lord BeaverbrookNew Brunswick's 104th Regiment of Foot (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericton.
Regarding Fredericton Military Compound / Le Complexe Militaire de Frédéricton. Canadian National Historic Site (1964) and Province of New Brunswick Heritage Site (1965)
Also see . . . Parks Canada: Fredericton Military Compound National Historic Site of Canada. The restored Guard Room looks as it did in 1866, when the 15th Regiment used the muskets, uniforms and equipment on display. The Cell Block originally contained seven cells - windowless stone and brick cubicles with a 10 inches diameter air-hole in the outer wall. In 1847, the Cell Block was modified to contain five enlarged cells, barred windows and an escape-proof ventilation system. (Submitted on September 23, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 23, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.