Niagara-on-the-Lake in Regional Municipality of Niagara, Ontario — Central Canada ()
Upper Canada Gazette, or American Oracle
Thursday, April 18, 1793
Gazette, or American Oracle was published in
Niagara-on-the-Lake by Louis Roy, King’s
Printer to John Graves Simcoe,
founding Lieutenant Governor of Upper
Canada. The first edition of four pages
appeared April 18, 1793. On this 200th
anniversary, the Ontario Community
Newspapers Association erected this plaque
to commemorate the introduction of the
newspaper for public communication and
community service in Ontario.
June 9, 1993
Erected by Ontario Community Newspapers Association.
Location. 43° 15.294′ N, 79° 4.169′ W. Marker is in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, in Regional Municipality of Niagara. Marker can be reached from King Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in Simcoe Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada (within shouting distance of this marker); John Graves Simcoe (within shouting distance of this Bicentennial of First Parliament (within shouting distance of this marker); Niagara Historical Society (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Niagara Agricultural Society (about 90 meters away); Town of Niagara (about 90 meters away); St. Mark’s Church (about 90 meters away); The First Provincial Parliament 1792 (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Communications •
More. Search the internet for Upper Canada Gazette, or American Oracle.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2019, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2019, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.