1707 Meeting House
This building's foundation contains the original stonework for a beloved place for residents to worship, vote, hold justice court and have community gatherings of all kinds.
This Meeting House was also the third Presbyterian Church originally located at the corner of Meeting House Lane and Main Street. It was purchased by the Methodists in 1843 and moved to its present site. After it ceased functioning as a church in 1883, it continued in use as a meeting hall, office building and finally as a gymnasium in 1910 under the ownership of Samuel L. Parrish. The upper wooden frame was destroyed in the 1920s.
Erected by Southampton Historical Museum and Brown Harris Stevens.
Location. 40° 53.097′ N, 72° 23.358′ W. Marker is in Southampton, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is on Main Street north of Meeting House Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 Main Street, Southampton NY 11968, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lt. Colonel Lawrence R. Boyll, Sr. (approx. ¼ mile away); Southampton World War II and Korean War Veterans Memorial
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for 1707 Meeting House.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.