Kingston in Frontenac County, Ontario — Central Canada ()
Frontenac County Court House / Palais de Justice du Comté de Frontenac
This grand Neo-classical building has served the courts of Frontenac County since its opening in 1858. Designed by the Dorset-born architect, Edward Horsey, it is superbly sited on land originally acquired in 1840 for a house of parliament, at a time when Kingston was one of several possible sites for the capital of Canada. Constructed of stone quarried on site, it features many of the traditional exterior elements of large-scale mid-19th century court houses: the use of classical detailing, the balanced three-part composition of centre pavilion and side wings, and a bold portico and dome.
Cet imposant palais de justice de style néo-classique a été inauguré en 1858. Oeuvre d’Edward Horsey, architecte natif du Dorset, l’édifice situé sur un lot acquis en 1840 pour y aménager le parlement, alors que l’on songeait à faire de Kingston la capitale du Canada. Construit de pierres extraites sur les lieux mêmes, le bâtiment présente nombre d’éléments caractéristiques des grandes palais de justice du milieu du XIXe siècle : motifs d’inspiration classique, pavillon central flanqué
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 44° 13.654′ N, 76° 29.374′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Ontario, in Frontenac County. Marker is on Court Street east of Barrie Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located in front of the Kirkpatrick Fountain, directly in front of the courthouse main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Court Street, Kingston, Ontario K7L 2N4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kirkpatrick Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Sangster (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Militia Garrison 1837-38 (about 150 meters away); René-Robert Cavelier (about 180 meters away); Sir John Alexander Macdonald (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Early Land Survey in Ontario / Premiers Travaux D'Arpentage en Ontario (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Bishop Alexander Macdonell (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Kingston Post Office / Bureau de Poste de Kingston (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Regarding Frontenac County Court House / Palais de Justice du Comté de Frontenac.
Also see . . .
1. Frontenac County Court House (Wikipedia). Alternation after 1874 fire by John Power added the dome tower. It overlooks City Park to its south, and Lake Ontario beyond. The front of the structure features the Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom. (Submitted on September 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Frontenac County Courthouse. In 1975, the City of Kingston designated the courthouse under the Ontario Heritage Act, and in 1980 the structure was designated a National Historic Site. The Ontario Heritage Trust secured a heritage easement on the building in 1989. (Submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Frontenac County Court House / Palais de Justice du Comté de Frontenac.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.