Kingston in Frontenac County, Ontario — Central Canada
Kingston Custom House / Bâtiment des Douanes de Kingston
Designed by the Montréal architectural firm of Hopkins, Lawford and Nelson, the Kingston Custom House was built in 1856-59 for the government of the united Canadas. The symmetrical composition of the two-storey ashlar building, surmounted by a restrained cornice and parapet, draws on the British classical tradition. The orderly design is achieved through repeated use of semi-circular forms for doors and windows. The Custom House and the nearby Post Office are fine examples of the architectural quality of mid-nineteenth century administrative buildings.
Ce bâtiment, construit entre 1856 et 1859, est l’œuvre de la société Hopkins, Lawford et Nelson de Montréal. L'édifice de deux étages en pierre de taille, surmonté d'une corniche et d'un parapet très sobres, s'inspire du style néo-classique anglais. L'hémicycle des portes et des fenêtres donne à l'œuvre une certaine unité. Conçu en même temps que le bureau de poste voisin, le bâtiment des douanes constitue un bel exemple de l'architecture des édifices publics du XIXe siècle.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 44° 13.778′ N, 76° 28.924′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Ontario, in Frontenac County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street East and Clarence Street, on the left when traveling north on King Street East. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the northeast corner of the Customs House, facing King Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 294 King Street East, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3B2, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Meeting of the Executive Council of Upper Canada (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rev. John Stuart (within shouting distance of this marker); Kingston Post Office / Bureau de Poste de Kingston (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The King's Royal Regiment of New York (about 150 meters away); The Market Battery (about 180 meters away); Louis de Buade Comte de Frontenac et de Palluau (about 240 meters away); Bishop Alexander Macdonell (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Molly Brant (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Regarding Kingston Custom House / Bâtiment des Douanes de Kingston.
Also see . . . Kingston Customs House. It is constructed of limestone and is situated in the centre of the city of Kingston on a block shared by the former Kingston Post Office and a limestone stable associated with the two public buildings. It is part of a cluster of 19th-century public and commercial buildings, including the Kingston City Hall, in the immediate vicinity. (Submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Kingston Custom House / Bâtiment des Douanes de Kingston.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.