Kingston in Frontenac County, Ontario — Central Canada ()
Kingston Post Office / Bureau de Poste de Kingston
In 1856-59 the government of the united Canadas erected the Kingston Post Office. Designed by the Montreal architectural firm of Hopkins, Lawford and Nelson, this limestone building shows the influence of the British classical style, particularly as it derived from Italian Renaissance palace architecture. The pronounced rustication of the ground storey contrasts with the refined details of the upper level to create a balanced, harmonious composition. Planned in conjunction with the nearby Custom House, the Post Office contributes to the dignified quality of this nineteenth century streetscape.
La construction du bureau de poste de Kingston s’échelonna de 1856 á 1859. Cet édifice en pierre à chaux, qui s’inspire des styles Renaissance italienne et néo-classique anglais, est l’oeuver de la société Hopkins, Lawford et Nelson de Montréal. Le rez-de-chaussée de pierre rustiquée fait contraste avec le raffinement de l'étage supérieur et confère à l’oeuver équilibre et harmonie. Conçu en même temps que le bâtiment des douances, situé à proximité, la bureau de poste constitue un
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 44° 13.806′ N, 76° 28.984′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Ontario, in Frontenac County. Marker is on Clarence Street just east of Wellington Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the old Kingston Post Office Building, at the northwest corner, facing Clarence Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 86 Clarence Street, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3C9, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kingston Custom House / Bâtiment des Douanes de Kingston (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Rev. John Stuart (about 90 meters away); The First Meeting of the Executive Council of Upper Canada (about 90 meters away); Bishop Alexander Macdonell (about 180 meters away); The King's Royal Regiment of New York (about 240 meters away); The Market Battery (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Louis de Buade Comte de Frontenac et de Palluau (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Molly Brant (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Regarding Kingston Post Office / Bureau de Poste de Kingston. Canadian National Historic Site #11661 (1971)
Also see . . . Old Kingston Post Office. The Old Kingston Post Office illustrates the eclecticism of early Victorian architecture in Canada, as architects gradually turned away from the rigid and formal aspects of Neoclassicism towards the richness and variety found in other architectural vocabularies. The Old Kingston Post Office is typical of the continued popularity of the Neoclassical style, and the increasing use of Renaissance elements in commercial and public buildings. (Submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Kingston Post Office / Bureau de Poste de Kingston.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.