Kingston in Frontenac County, Ontario — Central Canada ()
The First Meeting of the Executive Council of Upper Canada
La Première Réunion du Conseil Exécutif du Haut-Canada
Because of the Loyalist influx into the western part of Quebec after the American Revolution, the province was divided into Upper and Lower Canada (now Ontario and Quebec). The Constitutional Act of 1791 provided for representative government in each of the new provinces. On July 8, 1792, John Graves Simcoe, Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada, met his Executive Council in St. George's Church which once occupied this site. In the following three weeks the Council divided the province into counties and allocated representation to the Assembly that was to meet at Newark (later Niagara-on-the-Lake) in September.
À la suite de l’arrivée en masse des loyalistes, la province de Québec fut divisée en deux : le Haut-Canada et le Bas-Canada (maintenant l'Ontario et le Québec). L’Acte constitutionnel de 1791 introduisit le système parlementaire dans chacune province. Le 8 juillet 1792, John Graves Simcoe, lieutenant-gouverneur du Haut-Canada, réunit son Conseil exécutif en l'église St. George qui occupait auparavant ces lieux. Au cours des trois semaines qui suivirent, le Conseil
Erected 1923 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 44° 13.798′ N, 76° 28.906′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Ontario, in Frontenac County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street East and Market Street, on the left when traveling north on King Street East. Marker is mounted at eye-level on the old British Whig Building, just to the right of the main front entrance on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 King Street East, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3B4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kingston Custom House / Bâtiment des Douanes de Kingston (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rev. John Stuart (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Kingston Post Office / Bureau de Poste de Kingston (about 90 meters away); The King's Royal Regiment of New York (about 120 meters away); The Market Battery (about 150 meters away); Louis de Buade Comte de Frontenac et de Palluau (about 210 meters away); Bishop Alexander Macdonell (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Molly Brant (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Also see . . . Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada (Wikipedia). The first elections in Upper Canada, in which only land-owning males were permitted to vote, were held in August 1792. The first session of the Assembly's sixteen members occurred in Newark, Upper Canada on 17 September 1792. (Submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The First Meeting of the Executive Council of Upper Canada.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.