Kingston in Frontenac County, Ontario — Central Canada ()
Early Land Survey in Ontario / Premiers Travaux D'Arpentage en Ontario
In September 1783, Deputy Surveyor-General John Collins was despatched to Cataraqui by Governor Haldimand to lay out townships for loyalist settlers. The necessary land was purchased from Mississauga Indians, and on 27 October the first survey marker was planted. By the year’s end the front concessions of four townships, stretching from Cataraqui to the Bay of Quinte, had been surveyed. A fifth was laid out the following summer. Collins thus completed the first major survey made under the civil authority in what is now Ontario.
En septembre 1783, le gouverneur Haldimand envoya le sous-arpenteur général, John Collins, à Cataraqui pour y établir le plan des townships des colons loyalistes. On planta les premiers jalons le 27 octobre, sur des terrains achetés aux Mississaugas. A la fin de l'année, on avait terminé l'arpentage des concessions de front de quatre cantons, s’étendant de Cataraqui à la baie de Quinte. Le tracé d'un cinquième fut achevé l'été suivant. Collins réalisa donc le premier grand travail d'arpentage ordonné par les autorités civiles dans ce qui forme aujourd'hui
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 44° 13.484′ N, 76° 29.215′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Ontario, in Frontenac County. Marker can be reached from King Street East just west of West Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located near the southeast corner of Kingston City Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston, Ontario K7L, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sir John Alexander Macdonald (within shouting distance of this marker); René-Robert Cavelier (about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); Militia Garrison 1837-38 (about 240 meters away); Kirkpatrick Fountain (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Frontenac County Court House / Palais de Justice du Comté de Frontenac (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Charles Sangster (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Bishop Alexander Macdonell (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Rev. John Stuart (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Also see . . . Early Canada Land Allotment. Governor General Sir Frederick Haldimand believed that the Western country should be reserved for the Aboriginals whose loyalty to Britain had been sorely tried by the terms of the peace treaty with the United States which consigned their traditional hunting grounds to the new republic. However, when Haldimand learned that the Natives of the area would not consider the Loyalists unwelcome invaders, he directed Samuel Holland on May 26th, 1783 to "proceed to Cataraqui [Kingston] where you will examine into the situation." Haldimand subsequently settled a number of Loyalist groups along the upper St. Lawrence where he granted them land and basic supplies. (Submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Early Land Survey in Ontario / Premiers Travaux D'Arpentage en Ontario.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.