Waterloo in Monroe County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of the First English Speaking School in Illinois
Erected by 233 Woodmen of the World.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1783.
Location. 38° 16.02′ N, 90° 7.77′ W. Marker is in Waterloo, Illinois, in Monroe County. Marker is on KK Road, on the right when traveling west. The marker is off of the right off of the road, tucked into some weeds. It consists of a plaque on a crumbling rock and backs up against a grain field. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5101 KK Road, Columbia IL 62236, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Lemen (approx. 1.8 miles away); Armin Henry Krueger (approx. 2.2 miles away); Holy Cross Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Holy Cross Lutheran Church of WartburgVeterans Memorial for All Wars (approx. 4 miles away); Potter's Field (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Bellefontaine Bridge (approx. 4.2 miles away); James Moore Cabin (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterloo.
More about this marker. The school was located in an old, abandoned squatter's cabin.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 30, 2019. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 30, 2019. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.