St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1804, John Couper of Cannon's Point Plantation sold 4 acres of land, known as Couper's Point, to the U.S. Government for the sum of $1.00. This is the site where the first St. Simons Lighthouse, built by James Gould, was located.
Erected by Eugenia Price.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1804.
Location. 31° 8.04′ N, 81° 23.604′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. A ground marker, located just inside the gate to the grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 12th Street,, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort St. Simons (a few steps from this marker); Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Early History of St. Simons Island (a few steps from this marker); The First Lighthouse ~ 1810 (within shouting distance of this The Historic St. Simons Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Keepers of the Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to St. Simons Light! (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort St. Simons (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . . Glynn County: History & Lore: Biographies: John Couper. John Couper (1759-1850) was known as the patriarch of St. Simons Island planters in the early 1800s. (Submitted on December 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Additional keywords. lighthouses
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,197 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.