Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Franklin Downtown Historic District

 
 
Franklin Downtown Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, June 20, 2019
1. Franklin Downtown Historic District Marker
Inscription.  

The town of Franklin was developed in 1799 by Abram Maury, who acquired the land from Major Anthony Sharpe. The original town, consisting of 109 acres, was composed of sixteen blocks divided into 188 lots centered on a 2-acre public square. The public square was donated to the county, upon which the first two courthouses were built. The historic district, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, is outlined by Margin streets on the north and south and include First, Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth avenues running north and south, and Church, Main, and Bridge streets running east and west. Over 300 commercial and residential buildings lie within the district. Franklin received its town charter in 1815.

Williamson County Historical Society, 2015
In memory of Janice Hughes Swartz, “The Cellar on Main Street”
Donated by Avalyn Berry Swain

Reverse: Original Plat of Franklin by Abram Maury
 
Erected 2015 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1799.
 
Location. 35° 55.519′ N, 86° 52.163′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Public Square near Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 Public Square, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Maury-Darby Building (a few steps from this marker); 320 Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin Town Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Confederate Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Franklin (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Model 1841 6-Pounder Field Guns/Franklin Public Square During The Battle (within shouting distance of this marker); March To Freedom (within shouting distance of this marker); The Franklin Riot of 1867 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Also see . . .  Abram Maury - Williamson County Historical Society. Background information to the founding of Franklin by Abram Maury, including text of legal document and plat close-up. (Submitted on May 2, 2020.) 
 
Franklin Downtown Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, June 20, 2019
2. Franklin Downtown Historic District Marker
Reverse side
Franklin Downtown Historic District marker site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, June 20, 2019
3. Franklin Downtown Historic District marker site
The southwest corner of Public Square. The marker is in this quadrant.
Public Square, southeast corner image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, June 20, 2019
4. Public Square, southeast corner
The Williamson County Courthouse is in this quadrant.
Public Square, northeast corner image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, June 20, 2019
5. Public Square, northeast corner
City Hall is in this quadrant.
Public Square, northwest corner image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, June 20, 2019
6. Public Square, northwest corner
The center of the Public Square with the Confederate Soldiers Monument topped by "The Sentry" image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, June 20, 2019
7. The center of the Public Square with the Confederate Soldiers Monument topped by "The Sentry"
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 2, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=140424

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2024