Mankato in Blue Earth County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Ho-Chunk / Winnebago
More than 2,000 Ho-Chunk resettled on a reservation located in present-day townships McPherson, Medo, Beauford, Decoria, Lyra, Rapidan and parts of South Bend, Mankato and LeRay. The Dakota welcomed the Ho-Chunk Nation when they arrived in Mankato with a celebration and feast. The goal of the U. S. government was to make the people self-sufficient farmers. By 1859, the Office of Indian Affairs felt the Ho-Chunk were making great progress and could succeed as individuals.
At the close of the U.S. Dakota War of 1862, a fearful white community called for the removal of the Ho-Chunk reservation in Blue Earth County. On April 10, 1863, the Ho-Chunk were informed that they had to leave their homes once again. They were then relocated to Fort Thompson, South Dakota. Following this, land was purchased from the Omaha Tribe
Erected 2007 by the City of Mankato. Researched and written by the Blue Earth County Historical Society, and approved by the Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska Tribal Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1902.
Location. 44° 9.93′ N, 94° 0.61′ W. Marker is in Mankato, Minnesota, in Blue Earth County. Marker is on Minnesota River Trail, on the right when traveling south. The Marker is on the trail between the Veterans Memorial Bridge and the North Star Bridge, about ½ mile south of Reconciliation Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mankato MN 56001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Navigating the River (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lorin & Lulu Cray Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Minnesota River Steamboating (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hubbard House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Korean War (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dakota (Sioux) Memorial – 1862 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sinclair Lewis House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lincoln Park (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mankato.
More about this marker. This marker was installed by the City of Mankato to honor the history and heritage of the Ho-Chunk people who lived in southern Minnesota in the 1800s. It was dedicated September 21, 2007 in acknowledgement of the 1857-1863 presence of the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) tribe in the southern Minnesota. The Ho-Chunk people were removed from Minnesota along with the Dakota in 1863.
Also see . . . HoChunk (Winnebago) Marker Dedication, Mankato, MN. Video of (Submitted on November 30, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2008, by Sheryl and Bruce Dowlin of Boise, Idaho. This page has been viewed 4,029 times since then and 163 times this year. Last updated on December 2, 2008, by Sheryl and Bruce Dowlin of Boise, Idaho. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2008, by Sheryl and Bruce Dowlin of Boise, Idaho. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.