Watkinsville in Oconee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Stoneman Raid
Both brigades marched toward Eatonton (42 miles S). Separating, they rejoined next day north of Madison (20 miles S). Adams having marched via Eatonton and Madison (where he destroyed valuable property and supplies) and Capron via Rutledge (9 miles W of Madison). Late on August 1st, they camped “twelve miles from the bridge crossing the Oconee river, near Athens.”
Next morning they entered Watkinsville. Hoping to resupply his command at Athens, and to “destroy the armory and other government works” there, Adams advanced to the
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 108-4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1864.
Location. 33° 51.828′ N, 83° 24.564′ W. Marker is in Watkinsville, Georgia, in Oconee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Georgia Route 15) and Third Street North, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. The Marker is in front of the Eagle Tavern. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Watkinsville GA 30677, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Frontier Blockhouse (here, next to this marker); Civilians Abducted During Stoneman’s Raid (here, next to this marker); Eagle Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Oconee County (within shouting distance of this marker); In Honor of Our Revolutionary War Patriots (approx. ¼ mile away); Birthplace of Bishop A. G. Haygood and Miss Laura A. Haygood (approx. 0.4 miles away); E. D. Stroud School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jeannette Rankin’s Georgia Home (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watkinsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,269 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.