Bedford in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This tablet marks the building used by President George Washington as his headquarters October 19 and 20, 1794, when he was in Bedford, in charge of the United States Army, which was enroute to quell the Whiskey Insurrection in western Pennsylvania.
Erected 1926 by Bedford Chapter D.A.R.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the Whiskey Rebellion series lists.
Location. 40° 1.147′ N, 78° 30.176′ W. Marker is in Bedford, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is on Pitt Street (Business U.S. 30), on the right when traveling west. Marker is about 200 feet west of Richard Street (Pennsylvania Route 220). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 East Pitt Street, Bedford PA 15522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Espy House (here, next to this marker); "King's House" (within shouting distance of this marker); This Tablet Marks The Site of Fort Bedford (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Forbes Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fraser Tavern (about 400 feet away); Fort Bedford (about 400 feet away); Grist Millstone (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bedford.
Regarding George Washington. Espy House has been designated a National Historic Landmark 1983
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 989 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.