Near Migdal, Northern District, Israel
History of Magdala
c. 1500 AD / 1885-1910 AD / 1948 AD / 2006-2009 AD
c. 1500 AD
Between the earthquake of 363 and the crusader period, the southern part of Magdala witnesses a progressive decrease and multiple variations. It eventually becomes a small Arab village during Mamluk and early Ottoman periods.
Attempts are made to settle in another location near ancient Magdala by German Catholics and later Russian Zionists. By 1910 the modern town of Migdal develops into an agricultural area.
Magdala (known as Al-Majdal at the time) is depopulated and largely destroyed prior to the outbreak of the Arab-Israeli war.
Four plots of land are purchased for the purpose of a guest house under the initiative of Friar Juan Solana, Legionary of Christ. In September 2009, the first century synagogue is discovered. Since then collaborative efforts have uncovered the northern portion of the 1st century Jewish town of Magdala. The archaeological project has been led by Dina Avshalam-Gorni and Arfan Najar of the Israeli Antiquities Authorities and Marcela Zapata-Meza of Anáhauc Universidad
Location. 32° 49.619′ N, 35° 30.798′ E. Marker is near Migdal, Northern District. Marker can be reached from Northern District Route 90 just east of Northern District Route 807, on the right when traveling north. This marker is located in the midst of the archaeological ruins at the Magdala archaeological excavation site. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named History of Magdala (here, next to this marker); Market (within shouting distance of this marker); House of Miqwa'ot (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named House of Miqwa'ot (within shouting distance of this marker); Magdala's Hall of Fame (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named House of Miqwa'ot (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named House of Miqwa'ot (within shouting distance of this marker); Domestic Housing Area (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Migdal.
More about this marker. This marker is located in the Magdala archaeological excavation site, in the ruins of the ancient Jewish village. It is my impression that these ancient Jewish ruins are very significant in both the historical and archaeological record of ancient Judaism, because several of the artifacts and structural elements that were found in the ruins of this village are now on display in the Israel Museum in Jerusalem. Magdala is also part of the Biblical record, being a site that was visited by Jesus, as mentioned in Matthew 15:39.
The illustrations that were drawn on this marker were done by Danielle Storey of www.dstoreystudio.com
Categories. • Anthropology & Archaeology • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for History of Magdala.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 20, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.