Orleans in Barnstable County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Keeping the Light for 114 Years
”All the towers leaking bad. Everything all wet and in poor order
Log entry by Keeper Nathan Gill, 1874
Taking care of a lighthouse was demanding. The keeper was tasked with keeping the lights burning no matter the weather, and performing maintenance around the station. The first keeper’s house at Nauset Light was built in 1838, when the original three towers were constructed. In 1875, a second house was built because an assistant keeper and his family needed a place to live. The assistant lived in the original brick house and the head keeper moved into the new wood frame house. The keepers house has been moved twice – in 1923 and again in 1998.
In 1952 Nauset Light was automated and a keeper was no longer needed. The former keeper’s house is currently used as a residence. Please respect the privacy of the occupants – the house and yard are not open to the public.
Erected by Cape Cod National Seashore and the Nauset Light Preservation Society.
Location. 41° 51.622′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Nauset Beach Rd, Orleans MA 02653, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Nauset Lights (within shouting distance of this marker); Nauset Beach Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); The Long, Black Cable (within shouting distance of this marker); Pushed Back by the Sea (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Three Sisters Lit the Way (approx. ¼ mile away); Doane Rock (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Outermost House (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Life Savers (was approx. 1.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orleans.
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Keeping the Light for 114 Years.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 21, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on October 23, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.