Ottawa, Ontario — Central Canada ()
L’École Guigues and Regulation 17 / L’École Guigues et le Règlement 17
L’École Guigues, the school named in honour of the first Catholic Bishop of Ottawa, is a place of historical significance for the Franco-Ontarian community. In January 1916, during the crisis over Regulation 17, a group of parents, including mothers armed with hatpins, occupied the building to prevent school authorities from taking possession of it. Regulation 17 was a key episode in the history of the language conflicts that had been shaking Canada and Ontario since Confederation in 1867. Approved in 1912, Regulation 17 was intended to make English the sole language of instruction and communication in primary schools, and to restrict the teaching of French. It. outraged Franco-Ontarians, who finally succeeded in having it repealed in 1927. Regulation 17 was officially abolished from Ontario's statutes and regulations in 1944.
L’école Guigues, ainsi nommée en l'honneur du premier évêque catholique d'Ottawa, constitue un lieu de mémoire important pour la collectivité franco-ontarienne.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Trust / Fiducie du patrimoine ontarien.
Location. 45° 25.846′ N, 75° 41.482′ W. Marker is in Ottawa, Ontario. Marker is on Murray Street (Route 44) east of Dalhousie Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located near the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject Guigues Services Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 159 Murray Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 5M7, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. By Ward Market Heritage Conservation District (approx. 0.4 kilometers Grand Central Hotel / Hôtel Grand Central (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica / Basilique cathédrale Notre-Dame (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Hôpital Élisabeth Bruyère / Élisabeth Bruyère Hospital (approx. half a kilometer away); Élisabeth Bruyère (approx. half a kilometer away); Connaught Building / L’Édifice Connaught (approx. half a kilometer away); The Royal Canadian Mint / La Monnaie Royale Canadienne (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Château Laurier / Le Château Laurier (approx. 0.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ottawa.
Also see . . .
1. Regulation 17 (Wikipedia). Regulation 17 was a regulation of the Ontario Conservative government designed to shut down French-language schools at a time when Francophones from Quebec were moving into eastern Ontario. It was a regulation written by the Ministry of Education, issued in July 1912 by the Conservative government of premier Sir James P. Whitney. It restricted the use of French as a language of instruction to the first two years of schooling. French Canadians reacted (Submitted on October 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Battle of the Hatpins (Wikipedia). The Battle of the Hatpins (Français: Bataille des épingles à chapeaux) was a 1916 protest that occurred here at École Guigues over the effects of Regulation 17. When education officials, accompanied by police, arrived at the school to implement the shutdown order, they encountered 70 local women, mothers of children at the school, armed with hatpins and other household items who prevented their entrance; the Desloges sisters, dubbed the "Guardians of Guigues", instructed in French inside the school, disregarding an order forbidding them from entering the grounds. The women fought back with rolling pins, cast-iron skillets and hatpins and drove the police officers away. The battle was part of a cultural resistance movement that led to bilingual education eventually being officially reinstated in 1927. Regulation 17 was apologized for by the Ontario government over 100 years later. (Submitted on October 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Education • Government & Politics • Law Enforcement •
More. Search the internet for L’École Guigues and Regulation 17 / L’École Guigues et le Règlement 17.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.