Gaston in Delaware County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Snagtown ~ New Corner
— 1855 —
The Barlett, Bryant, Vannata, and Veach families were the first settlers in 1837-1839.
In 1840-1850 the McCreery, Woodring and Maynard, Rowlett and Thompson families became property owners.
Snagtown ~ New Corner was platted by David L. Jones in February 27, 1855.
November 11, 1892 the U.S. Post Office changed the name of the New Corner Post Office to Gaston.
December 9, 1892 the residents of New Corner petitioned the Delaware County Commissioners to change the name of the town to Gaston.
October 25, 1904 an election was held for the incorporation of the town of Gaston.
Gaston was platted as a townsite by David L. Jones in February 27, 1855. With 35 residents, Snagtown was a trading center with a sawmill, general store, two churches, school, post office and doctor. Rich ground that was once swamp drew families to settle nearby and the small town grew.
Progress dictated that roads be built for easy travel. Trees were cut off knee-high leaving a stump, and the log were used to make corduroy roads. Rather than pull the stump out, the roads simply went around them.
Modern roads eventually were built as Snagtown grew and prospered. The name was changed to New Corner when a "new corner" of business building were built. The name Gaston was adopted on November 11, 1892 and the town was incorporated in 1904 during the gas boom.
The community has come a long way since Snagtown days but we appreciate our humble beginnings and look forward to a bright future.
Erected 2003 by Gaston Historical Committee.
Location. 40° 18.821′ N, 85° 30.037′ W. Marker is in Gaston, Indiana, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of East Elm Street (County Road 850N) and South Sycamore Street (County Road N600W), on the right when traveling east on East Elm Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 E Elm St, Gaston IN 47342, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slickville Tile Works (approx. 4.4 miles away); Elizabethtown (approx. 4.8 miles away); Covered Bridge (approx. 5.1 miles away); Cumberland Covered Bridge This Covered Bridge (approx. 5.2 miles away); Matthews Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.2 miles away); Lt. Col. Thomas W. (Bill) Boles (approx. 5.2 miles away); Old Indian Trail / Wheeling Pike (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaston.
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Snagtown ~ New Corner.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 22, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.