Hibernia in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hibernia Historic District
As early as 1722, a rich deposit of magnetite iron was mined in the Hibernia section of Rockaway Township. In 1765, Samuel Ford (nephew of Col. Jacob Ford, Sr.) and several investors became partners in the “Adventure Furnace” with owner Lord Stirling, later a general in the Continental Army. Within two years the furnace and area were re named “Hibernia.” The furnace, managed by Joseph Hoff, served as an important supplier of munitions to patriot troops.
Hibernia experienced rapid growth after the Civil War. In the 1870’s the Glendon Iron Company built the Hibernia Underground Railroad to transport iron on the right travelling east from more than a mile inside the Hibernia mine, first by animal power, then by steam. Ore was transported on rails along Green Pond Road to be refined in furnaces as far away as Trenton and Phillipsburg. Round trip passenger service to Rockaway Borough began on June 3rd 1889, from the Hibernia Supply Company store and U.S. Post Office.
By 1906 the mining communities of Lower and Upper Hibernia had grown to include retail businesses, a hotel, two churches, two
( photo captions )
1. Hibernia mine entrance
2. Single Family House (Rented to Flanigan Family)
3. Beach (Single Family House)
4a. Mine Buildings: Air Compressor House, Engine House, Boilers and Stacks (2)
4b. Carpenters Shop and Store House
5. S. Hiler (Single Family House)
6. Lyons/Everment (Two Family House)
7. Elevated Trestle, Underground R.R.
8. Glendon Iron Company Miners’ Row Houses (Two Family Homes)
9. G. Richards (Three Family House)
10. Methodist Episcopal Church
11. Methodist Episcopal Parsonage
12. Hibernia Supply Company (Store and U.S. Post Office)
Photo courtesy of the Historical Society of Rockaway Township
Location. 40° 56.724′ N, 74° 29.657′ W. Marker is in Hibernia, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Pond Road (County Route 513) and Church Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 419 Green Pond Road, Hibernia NJ 07842, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hibernia Methodist Episcopal Church (here, next to this marker); NARTS Test Area D & E Historic Districts (1946-1989) (approx. 1.7 miles away); Kitchel Homestead (approx. 1.9 miles away); 1500 Former Army Rocket Test Area Historic District (1946-1989) (approx. 2.2 miles away); Naval Commander's Home (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mount Hope (approx. 2.8 miles away); Ford – Faesch Manor House - 1768 (approx. 2.8 miles away); Adam Miller House (approx. 2.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Historical Society of Rockaway Township. (Submitted on October 23, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Hibernia Historic District.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 23, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.