Carrollton in Carroll County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Skirmishes occurred January 1863, March and August 1864. Every building except two stables was destroyed. Herron's army camped here in January 1863, after the Battle of Prairie Grove (Dec. 7, 1862).
As county seat (1834-1875) it was an important trading and political center. Seventeen children, survivors of Mountain Meadows Massacre (Utah, 1857) were returned here.
Erected 1965 by Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission.
Location. 36° 15.756′ N, 93° 19.296′ W. Marker is in Carrollton, Arkansas, in Carroll County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 412 and County Road 917, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 412. Located next to a roadside park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alpena AR 72611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arkansas Marble in Washington’s Monument (approx. 15.4 miles away).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for "Old" Carrollton.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.