Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bricks with Names
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, extra-hard paving bricks (often called "blocks") were the material of choice for street surfaces. Larger than standard bricks, they were durable and often had incised patterns or raised areas to provide traction for horseshoes and rubber tires.
Most paving bricks were made in southeastern Ohio and were frequently marked with the manufacturer's name.
The two short blocks of Willow Street, between Lazelle and Mohawk, have a rich mix of named bricks made by well over a dozen brickmakers. Among them are Athens, Hocking, Trimble, Peebles, and Nelsonville. How many more can you find?
Erected by German Village Society.
Location. 39° 57.018′ N, 82° 59.688′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Lazelle Street and Willow Street, on the right when traveling south on South Lazelle Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lindey's (about 300 feet away, measured in Circa 1872 (about 400 feet away); Brick Protest and Taking Action (about 400 feet away); Circa 1875 (about 600 feet away); Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent (about 600 feet away); St. Mary Church (about 700 feet away); Frank Fetch Park (about 800 feet away); Frank Fetch (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Bricks with Names.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.