Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrison in Boone County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Early Gas Station

 
 
Early Gas Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 23, 2019
1. Early Gas Station Marker
Inscription.  One of the city's earliest gas stations, built in 1927 by W.H. Lewis, it was purchased in 1929 by Independent Oil (became Phillips 66). They remodeled it from a frame structure with rubblestone veneer to Tudor Revival Style. Independent owner-operators ran it: among them John Hickman 1930s-63 & Bill Johnson 1963-77. Phillips sold the building in 1974 to Wm. W. & Virginia Gregg. In 1998 Gordon & Kandy Greg Webb bought and renovated it to be Kandy's law office The original outdoor lamps of the gas station can be seen inside each bay window.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
 
Location. 36° 13.917′ N, 93° 6.453′ W. Marker is in Harrison, Arkansas, in Boone County. Marker is at the intersection of West Ridge Avenue and North Main Street (Business U.S. 65), on the left when traveling west on West Ridge Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 224 West Ridge Avenue, Harrison AR 72601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Garage (a few steps from this marker); The Hotel Seville
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Harrison Daily Times (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lyric Theater (about 400 feet away); The Old Federal Building (about 400 feet away); The Missouri & North Arkansas Railroad Office (about 400 feet away); Jack Williams (about 500 feet away); Boone County WWI Monument (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrison.
 
Early Gas Station and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 23, 2019
2. Early Gas Station and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=141850

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024