Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Erie County Jail / Sandusky Library

 
 
Erie County Jail side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
1. Erie County Jail side of marker
Inscription.  The Erie County Jail was built in 1882-1883 in the Gothic style. Constructed of blue limestone, the $45,750 facility featured 26 cells, the sheriff’s residence, and boasted then modern innovations including chrome steel bars and safety mechanisms. A number of city and county jails existed in the city during Sandusky’s early years; however, this building stood the test of time and was used until replaced by a modern facility in 1990. Sheriffs and their families lived in the residence until 1972, when it was converted to office space. The Erie County Jail was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. In 2004, the building was incorporated into the newly renovated and expanded Sandusky Library.

A library has existed to serve Sandusky’s citizens since 1826. Beginning with the Portland Library and growing through the years, Sandusky’s library found its ultimate caretakers in a group of local women who started a fund to build a new library. Built with the aid of a $50,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie, Sandusky’s Carnegie Library was dedicated on July 3, 1901. Designed by New York architects D’Oench and
Sandusky Library side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
2. Sandusky Library side of marker
Yost in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the library was built of locally quarried limestone. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. In 2004 a renovated library was dedicated,which incorporated the former Erie County Jail building and almost tripled the facility’s size.
 
Erected 2015 by the William G. Pomeroy Foundation, the Sandusky Library, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 29-22.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 27.191′ N, 82° 42.64′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on West Adams Street east of Jackson Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 W Adams St, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Knute Rockne Wedding (about 600 feet away); The Boy with the Boot (about 600 feet away); “The Early Birds” (about 600 feet away); Sandusky / Erie County (about 600 feet away); This Concretion (about
Erie County Jail / Sandusky Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
3. Erie County Jail / Sandusky Library Marker
700 feet away); Old Sandusky Post Office (about 700 feet away); Oran Follett (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
 
Also see . . .  Sandusky Library and Erie County Jail. This page has a panorama of the block-long complex with the library on the left, the jail on the right and the new connecting wing between them. (Submitted on October 30, 2019.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducationLaw Enforcement
 
Sandusky Public Library image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
4. Sandusky Public Library
 

More. Search the internet for Erie County Jail / Sandusky Library.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2020. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 30, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement