“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kelleys Island in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

The Island House

The Island House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
1. The Island House Marker
Inscription.  Datus and Sara Kelley built their home here in 1843, known as the Island House. It was located up the hill from the steamboat landing and across the street from the island store (the Lodge, 1854). In 1873, Jacob Rush bought the property and built a 102-room hotel. This “pleasure resort” was 224 feet wide and three stories tall. It featured many amenities, including a bowling alley, billiard parlor, bath houses, laundry, barber shop, livery stable, and a dancing pavilion (the Casino) overlooking the lake. A fire destroyed the structure in November 1877. Later owners of the property where the hotel stood were Clara Fann and George Schardt in 1892, Frank Stang in 1895, Jacob Kuebler in 1899, and John Himmeline in 1905. Himmeline sold the property to the Village for use as a park in 1925.
Erected 2016 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation, Village of Kelleys Island, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 31-22.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Memorial Park, Site of the Island House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
2. Memorial Park, Site of the Island House
41° 35.637′ N, 82° 42.649′ W. Marker is in Kelleys Island, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of East Lakeshore Drive and Division Street, on the left when traveling east on East Lakeshore Drive. It is in Memorial Park. There is a car ferry with frequent service from Lakeside Marblehead (a 34 minute ride), and a hydrofoil passenger ferry from Sandusky (a 20 minute ride). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 Division St, Kelleys Island OH 43438, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Inscription Rock (approx. mile away); The German Reformed Church / The Church Parsonage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Glacial Grooves State Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lakeside (approx. 3.9 miles away); Marblehead Lighthouse (approx. 4 miles away); Lake Erie (approx. 4 miles away); The Fire of October 20, 1929 / The Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association (approx. 4.1 miles away); Johnson's Island (approx. 5.6 miles away).
Categories. EntertainmentParks & Recreational Areas
Division Street Looking North image. Click for full size.
By 2
3. Division Street Looking North
There is a light coating of snow on the street. The empty lot on the right before the first house is where the Island Hotel stood before it burned and where Memorial Park is now.

More. Search the internet for The Island House.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3. submitted on November 7, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement