Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Yuriria in Municipality of Yuriria, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Church of San Antonio

Ruta de los Conventos - The Convent Route

 
 
Church of San Antonio Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 21, 2019
1. Church of San Antonio Marker
Inscription.  

Templo de San Antonio
La edificación de esta capilla data del año 1846, así lo hace saber una placa colocada en la nave del edificio que dices "Manuel Guerrero hizo para su hija María Dolores y dedicó el convento la Capilla de San Antonio el 13 de junio de 1846. Yuriria, Gto."

Actualmente la capilla es más conocida por el nombre de San Antonio pero entre las personas de generaciones pasadas, era común que la llamaran templo del Santo Sepulcro.

La fachada de este edilicio está hecha de cantera y es austera. Se entra por un vano o puerta en forma de arco de medio punto; a cada lado de ésta hay una pilastra sobre la cual se apoya el entablamento, que es un elemento constructivo vertical que, a su vez, descansa sobre columnas o pilastras

Por su austeridad, el inmueble no cuenta con torre campanario, las campanas están colocadas en un elemento arquitectónico llamado espadaña, que es un muro aislado con dos o más huecos que se utilizan para colocar las campanas; la espadaña de este templo está colocada en el muro de la fachada principal. Sobre el entablamento, en la parte central, se observa la ventana
Church of San Antonio Marker English text image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 21, 2019
2. Church of San Antonio Marker English text
del coro

A diferencia de otros templos de Yuriria, la nave principal del templo de San Antonio tiene forma rectangular, al fondo de ella se encuentra una cúpula bellamente decorada con pinturas alusivas a los cuatro doctores de la iglesia: San Gregorio, San Agustín, San Jerónimo y San Ambrosio.

De acuerdo con el libro "Yuririapúndaro, escrito por el senor Jesús Guzmán Cintora, esta capilla fue un oratorio de propiedad privada de la familia Guerrero; misma que, con el apoyo del señor Luis Otero, obtuvo el permiso de la Sagrada Mitra del Obispado de Morelia, para que en el oratorio se pudiera exponer al Santísmo y también para oficiar misa.

English translation:
Church of San Antonio
This chapel dates from 1846, it is showed on a plaque in the nave of the building that says “Manuel Guerrero did for his daughter Maria Dolores and devoted the convent chapel of San Antonio on June 13th, 1846. Yuriria, Gto.”

Today the chapel is best known as San Antonio, but among people of past generations, it was common to be called church of the Holy Sepulcher.

The facade of this building is austere and made of quarry stone. You enter through a semicircular arch shaped door; on each side of it, there is a pillar on which an entablement is held, a vertical structural element that, in turn, rests on support columns pilasters.
Church of San Antonio and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 21, 2019
3. Church of San Antonio and Marker
Note the belfy mentioned in the marker text.


For its austerity, the building has no bell tower, the bells are placed in an architectural element called belfry, which is kind of a hollow wall with two or more holes used to put the bells in; in the case of this church the belfry is placed on the wall of the main façade. On the entablature, in the central part, the choir oval window is observed.

Unlike other churches at Yuriria, the main nave of San Antonio’s church has a rectangular shape, on the background lies a beautifully decorated dome with paintings alluding ot the four doctors of the church: St. Gregory, St. Augustine, St. Jerome and San Ambrose.

According to the book "Yuririapúndaro, written by Jesús Guzmán Cintora, this chapel was a private oratory of the Guerrero family, which, with the support of Mr. Luis Otero, obtained permission from the Holy Bishopric of Morelia, for the oratory to expose the Blessed Sacrament and to officiate mass.
 
Location. 20° 12.844′ N, 101° 7.634′ W. Marker is in Yuriria, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Yuriria. Marker is on Carretera Salvatierra-Yuriria (Route 51) just east of Abasolo, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yuriria, Guanajuato 38940, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of the Purísima Concepción (a few steps from this marker); Church of the Hospital (about 210 meters
The front entryway to the Church of San Antonio image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 21, 2019
4. The front entryway to the Church of San Antonio
away, measured in a direct line); Church of El Señor de la Salud (about 240 meters away); Friar Miguel F. Zavala O.S.A. (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Temple of the Lord of the Precious Blood of Christ (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Joaquín López Arias (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Dr. Miguel Ramírez Tinoco (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Yuriria Cultural Center (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yuriria.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionMan-Made Features
 

More. Search the internet for Church of San Antonio.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 31 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 31, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement