Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Tulsa in Tulsa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Red Fork

 

Tulsa's Historic Route 66

 
Red Fork Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
1. Red Fork Marker
Inscription.  The Arkansas River was a major obstacle for cattle drivers leading herds from grazing fields in Texas to slaughter houses in Kansas. Before construction of the Frisco Railroad bridge in 1883, crossing the river was a complicated task, compounded by unexpected rains that occasionally caused flooding. Multiple herds, each with hundreds of cattle, waited their turn to ford the river in the area that would become Red Fork, some four miles southwest of the actual crossing. When the Frisco established a railhead on the west side of the river, it gave the newly designated Red Fork area a sense of purpose. No longer a stopping point on the way to somewhere else, Red Fork developed as the end point of the line for both cattlemen and railroad workers. It soon boasted general stores and a railroad depot. Although Red Fork listed its status as a railhead, two years later the Frisco line was extended to Sapulpa. The community however was too established to disappear completely.

When the discovery of oil at Sue Bland No. 1 brought scores of prospectors and entrepreneurs to Red Fork, the government sought to establish order by laying

Red Fork Marker looking west on Southwest Boulevard. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
2. Red Fork Marker looking west on Southwest Boulevard.
out 160 acres for a town site. Red Fork incorporated in 1902. New buildings soon housed city hall and a library. The interurban line passed through the corner of the town, providing public transportation to the Glenn Pool oil fields and to offices and shopping in Tulsa. Red Fork was officially annexed by the City of Tulsa in 1927, shortly after Sapulpa Road (Southwest Boulevard) was designated as part of Route 66. Red Fork Corner developed a dense concentration of businesses that catered to the needs of local residents as well as travelers passing through on the Mother Road.
 
Erected 2019 by Tulsa Route 66 Commission. (Marker Number 28.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the U.S. Route 66 marker series.
 
Location. 36° 6.274′ N, 96° 1.335′ W. Marker is in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in Tulsa County. Marker is at the intersection of Southwest Boulevard and West 41st Street, on the right when traveling west on Southwest Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4070 Southwest Boulevard, Tulsa OK 74107, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Oil Well in Tulsa County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crystal City (approx. 0.3 miles away); Route 66 Historical Village (approx.
Reverse side of marker looking northeast. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
3. Reverse side of marker looking northeast.
0.4 miles away); Clinton Heights (approx. half a mile away); Sapulpa Road (approx. 1.1 miles away); Tulsa's First Oil Strike (approx. 1.2 miles away); Quanah Retail Center (approx. 1.9 miles away); West Tulsa (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tulsa.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry on Red Fork. (Submitted on November 1, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsWaterways & Vessels
 

More. Search the internet for Red Fork.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement