Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (South Central)
 

Madison Park School

Montgomery County

 
 
Madison Park School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 3, 2019
1. Madison Park School Marker
Inscription.  In 1890, Elijah Madison Jr., Charles Branson, Charles Braswell and others donated funds to construct a private school in the Madison Park Community, which was founded by 14 former Slaves in 1880. A storm soon destroyed the first school building. General P. Madison rebuilt the school building. The first teachers from 1890-1906 were P. Hatchet, Rev. Joe and Carol Arrington, Miss Carrie Madison served as the first principal. In 1913, Julius Rosenwald, along with community residents made contributions toward the construction of a two-teacher type school building. In the early 1930s the school was added to the county system. In 1954, a four-room cement block building was built. In 1961 the original Rosenwald School was torn down and a brick addition was completed that included an auditorium and cafeteria. Teachers from the community were Prince E. Madison and Frankie M. Winston; cooks from the community were Gertrude Johnson, Mamie C. Motley. Annie Singleton, Willie Slaughter, and Sarah Thornton; custodians from the community were Gogladdis Chambliss and Elmetia Gholston. The school continued as an elementary school until school desegregation began
Madison Park School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 3, 2019
2. Madison Park School Marker
Now the Madison Park Community Re-Union Organization.
in the 1970s. The school is now the community center for Madison Park.

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on March 29, 2012
 
Erected 2019 by Madison Park Community Re-Union Organization, Robert Taylor III, President.
 
Location. 32° 25.764′ N, 86° 13.184′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Wetumpka Highway (County Road 74) and Brooks Road, on the left when traveling north on Old Wetumpka Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3245 Old Wetumpka Highway, Montgomery AL 36110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Elam Baptist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Gunter Annex / Gunter Basic Flying Training School (approx. 1.9 miles away); Corporal Vernon L. Burge (approx. 2.4 miles away); Combat Skyspot (approx. 2.4 miles away); Operation Allied Force (approx. 2.4 miles away); Vietnam Service Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away); Operation Eagle Claw (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Madison Park Community Re-Union Organization. (Submitted on November 3, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
African AmericansEducation
 

More. Search the internet for Madison Park School.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 3, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement