Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Franklin Railroad Depot

 
 
Franklin Railroad Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, June 21, 2019
1. Franklin Railroad Depot Marker
Inscription.  In 1853, John S, Claybrook, a Williamson County railroad visionary, led a group of about 30 local citizens to provide the initial $20,000 capital for building the Tennessee & Alabama Railroad. The City of Franklin followed with $20,000. Once the company had graded and prepared 20 miles of roadbed from Nashville with stone and cross ties, the State of Tennessee paid for the English-made iron rails by issuing 6% long-term bonds at the rate of $10,000 per mile. On March 6, 1855, the first train of the T&A Railroad Co. pulled into this depot site. The second railroad constructed in the state, it was soon completed to Thompson’s Station, Columbia, Pulaski, and finally, Decatur, AL.

Courtesy of Calvin and Marylyn Lehew
Williamson County Historical Society 2007

 
Erected 2007 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 6, 1855.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
35° 55.354′ N, 86° 51.889′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on South Margin Street just east of 2nd Avenue South, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 South Margin Street, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rainey House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad Section Foreman's House / Pioneers' Corner (about 500 feet away); Fort Granger (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (about 700 feet away); General Granger and Emancipation (about 800 feet away); Ewingville / Alexander Ewing (about 800 feet away); Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street / "Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood (approx. 0.2 miles away); Watson House (c. 1881) (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Franklin Railroad Depot Marker site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, June 21, 2019
2. Franklin Railroad Depot Marker site
Franklin Railroad Depot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, June 21, 2019
3. Franklin Railroad Depot
The original structure, built 1858.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on November 4, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=142176

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024