Founding of Merrickville
In 1793 William Merrick (1760-1844), a Loyalist from Massachusetts, acquired from Roger Stevens a sawmill at the "Great Falls" on the Rideau River. Here he built new mills which formed the nucleus of a small community that grew up before 1816 and was known as "Merricks Mills". The establishment of new settlements on the Rideau and the building of the canal, 1826-32, stimulated the growth of the village. Streets were laid out and a post office named "Merrickville" was opened in 1829. By 1850 the community contained about 700 persons, two flour mills, a cloth factory and other industries, and was incorporated as a village in 1860.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 44° 54.981′ N, 75° 50.132′ W. Marker is in Merrickville, Ontario, in Leeds and Grenville United Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Provincial Highway 43) and Elgin Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 Main Street East, Merrickville, Ontario K0G 1N0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Also see . . .
1. Merrickville-Wolford at Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 6, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Welcome to the Village of Merrickville-Wolford. (Submitted on November 6, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Founding of Merrickville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 33 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.