St. Ann's Church, Merrickville, 1903
The first Catholics to settle in Merrickville were the families of the Irish, Scottish and French builders of the Rideau Canal, 1826-32. The area was originally served by priests visiting from Perth and Prescott and later from Smiths Falls and Kemptville. It 1848 Bishop Patrick Phelan of Kingston blessed the first church on this site and consecrated St. Ann's cemetery just to the south of the Village of Merrickville.
A resident pastor was stationed at Merrickville in 1886, at which time it became a formal parish. The rectory next door to the east was built in 1887. From 1886 until the present, the boundaries of the Merrickville Catholic Parish have been all of Wolford Township to the south and west and parts of the townships of Montague to the north, Marlborough to the north-east and Oxford to the east.
The present church was built during 1902 and 1903 and was formally dedicated by the Most Rev. C. H. Gauthier, Archbishop of Kingston, on Sunday, October 12, 1903.
This historical plaque was blessed and dedicated on Sunday, October 12, 2003, by the pastor of St. Ann's Parish, the Rev. Andrew B. Shim, and the Rev Edward J. R. Jackman
Erected 2003 by Roman Catholic Diocese of Kingston.
Location. 44° 54.94′ N, 75° 50.401′ W. Marker is in Merrickville, Ontario, in Leeds and Grenville United Counties. Marker is on Main Street just west of St. John Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 230 Main Street West, Merrickville, Ontario K0G 1N0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Jim Connor (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Twin Canals / Les canaux jumelés (about 180 meters away); Canal Twins / Les canaux jumelés (about 180 meters away); Merrickville (about 210 meters away); 1st Merrickville Scout Group (about 240 meters away); The Merrickville Blockhouse / Le blockhaus de Merrickville (about 240 meters away); Merrickville Blockhouse 1832 (about 240 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Merrickville.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for St. Ann's Church, Merrickville, 1903.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.