Coventry in Tolland County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Strong-Porter Homestead
Like his father, Thomas was always interested in educational affairs. He was a liberal contributor to the library in Andover, which was considered the best in proportion to its size in Eastern Connecticut. In compliment to his family, the library was called the Porter Library.
In 1758, the Strongs sold the house to the Porter family. It was the large and growing Porter family that built the rest of the house. By about 1777, the western half, and the lean-to across the back (containing 2 kitchens) had been added. A censes taken in 1790 that 9 Porters were living in the western half, making a total 21 Porter family members in the house!
By the time of the Revolutionary War, this house had two chimneys and a Georgian floor plan – the very latest style! The Porters occupied the house for about 170 years and continued to live and farm at this site through the entire 19th century!
The Strong-Porter , like the Hale Homestead was bought and restored by the well known Connecticut antiquarian , George Dudley Seymour (1859-1945). Seymour that that Nathan Hale’s mother Elizabeth Strong, had been born in this house. We have since discovered that it was her uncle who built the first part of the Strong-Porter house around 1730 and that Elizabeth strong did not live here.
When Seymour purchased the house from the Porters he decided to call it the “Northampton House”
The above view is taken from an illustration from Cole’s History of Tolland County, published in 1888 presumably represents the Porter Homestead as it appeared about that time. The great barn built by Mr. Thomas E. Porter, the” last of the Porters” was burned about 40 years ago. It stood more to the northwest than is shown in the picture. Quoting from GW Seymour, May 1930.
The large wooden barn included a basement, a main floor and a second story with a large cupola on the roof, on the gable ends led to the main floor of the barn. The basement level had one wall open to the north and may have been to store wagons and other large pieces of equipment. The sketch of the barn shows a four-bay carriage shed with an enclosed office at the southwestern corner. Apparently the office and shed were not destroyed when the rest of the barn burned. This section disappeared sometime after 1890, although the exact date is uncertain.
Location. 41° 46.005′ N, 72° 20.887′ W. Marker is in Coventry, Connecticut, in Tolland County. Marker is on South St 0.3 miles west of Seagraves Rd, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2382 South St, Coventry CT 06238, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Strong Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); Holy Grove (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of Nathan Hale (approx. 0.2 miles away); Coventry (approx. 2.1 miles away); Nathan Hale Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Connecticut Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Connecticut Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Patriot’s Park (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coventry.
Regarding The Strong-Porter Homestead. The Strong-Porter House was the home of Nathan Hale’s grandmother.
Also see . . . Strong House, Nathan Hale Homestead (Wikipedia). (Submitted on November 10, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The Strong-Porter Homestead.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.