Flint in Genesee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1905 William Durant of the Buick Motor Company asked wheel and axle manufacturer Charles Stewart Mott (1875-1973) to build axles in Flint. The Mott family and business had moved from Utica, New York, to Flint by 1907. In 1913 Mott's company joined General Motors, where he was vice president from 1917 to 1937 and on the Board of Directors from 1913 to 1973. Mott served three terms as mayor of Flint: 1912, 1913 and 1918. He purchased sixty-four acres of farmland here in 1915 and contracted his brother-in-law Herbert Davis to design his residence, Applewood. Built in 1916-17, at a cost of more than $70,000, the estate was named for the farm's apple grove. The 15,444-square-foot house was designed in a modified Jacobean style. Mott's wife, Ethel Harding Mott, helped furnish the thirty-five room home, which included a bowling alley.
General Motors executive Charles Stewart Mott maintained Applewood as a working farm until 1949. William Pitkin, Jr. designed the grounds, which included an apple grove, vegetable gardens, and livestock and recreation areas. Mott, whose grandfather owned a cider
Erected 2016 by Michigan Historical Commission-Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number S513.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 1.449′ N, 83° 40.286′ W. Marker is in Flint, Michigan, in Genesee County. Marker is on Albert R. Horrigan Drive 0.1 miles south of Robert T. Longway Boulevard, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 East Kearsley Street, Flint MI 48503, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rise and Fall of Gilkey Creek (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Terrace Reconstruction Project (about 500 feet away); Renewing an Old Orchard Fun and Games (about 700 feet away); The Heart of the Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Demonstration Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gatehouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Applewood Estate (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flint.
More about this marker. There is an identical marker on the west side of the estate.
Also see . . .
1. Charles Stewart Mott. Wikipedia article about Charles Stewart Mott and Applewood. (Submitted on November 11, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Mott Family History. Page on the Ruth Mott Foundation website with information about Charles Stewart Mott and Applewood. (Submitted on November 11, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Applewood Estate.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 11, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the front of the house. • Can you help?