Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Dupont School

Delaware State University

 

Making our mark on the world

 
Dupont School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, November 11, 2019
1. Dupont School Marker
Inscription.  From 1921 until 1952 this simple brick structure, named for its benefactor, Pierre S. Dupont, served as a laboratory-classroom for students enrolled in the teaching course at the State College for Colored Students (now DSU).

The educational program initially consisted of a normal school that prepared eighth-grade graduates to be elementary school teachers by equipping them with an established system of "norms" or methods for instruction. After three years of pedagogy, the students were awarded a teaching certificate and given the option of pursuing a bachelor's degree during a fourth year. The teaching candidates primarily learned how to instruct conventional disciplines, but they also explored challenges they would be likely to face in the field — such as rural school management or issues of classroom heating and lighting. In 1934 the normal course was phased out and replaced by a more collegiate Bachelor's of Education degree program.

While initially serving as an elementary school, this laboratory-classroom became a high school for local black youths. Prior to this transition, Howard High School, located in Wilmington,
Dupont School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, November 11, 2019
2. Dupont School Marker
was the only African American secondary school in Delaware. Until 1950, together Howard and this school remained the only high schools open to African Americans.

In 1952 the school was closed and converted into a health center. Although academic classes no longer meet here, the DuPont school building stands as a time honored reminder of DSU's contribution to the education of Delaware's African American communities.
 
Erected by Delaware State University.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities marker series.
 
Location. 39° 11.055′ N, 75° 32.69′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on College Avenue 0.7 miles west of North Dupont Highway (U.S. 13), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Delaware State College High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Loockerman Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dover Downs (approx. half a mile away); Dover (approx. one mile away); Dover International Speedway (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lakeside Cemetery Veterans Memorial
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 1.2 miles away); Former Site of ILC Dover (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducationScience & Medicine
 

More. Search the internet for Dupont School.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement