Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
During the Civil War, Winchester changed hands many times, as Union and Confederate forces occupied, fought over, and won or lost possession of the town. Each side occupied Glen Burnie several times. Its proximity of the North Western Turnpike (now U.S. Rte. 50) between Winchester, Virginia, and Romney, West Virginia, and to good water from springs here, attracted the troops. In June 1861, Southern-minded Marylanders camped here and formed the First Maryland Infantry, Confederate States of America (CSA). They later fought the First Maryland Infantry, United States of America (USA), at the Battle of Front Royal on May 23, 1862.
Tides of blue and gray swept across the hills and fields of Glen Burnie during all three major battles for Winchester in 1862, 1863, and 1864. Combat damage and occupation caused the farm’s agricultural productivity and value to decline as livestock, farm buildings, fences and timber were taken or destroyed. After the war, family members went west to begin new lives, homes, and fortunes, and eventually left Glen Burnie as a legacy to the Winchester community.
The newly formed First Maryland Infantry (CSA) plays "foot-ball" at Glen Burnie before evening parade, from Harper's Weekly, Aug. 21, 1861
Glen Burnie looked much this way when, on Christmas Eve, 1862, Cornelia McDonald living across the road, saw a regiment of Federal Cavalry ‘take possession of Mr. Wood’s yard and beautiful grounds, attracted no doubt by the grass which is still green in many places.” Courtesy Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society
One of three springs on the original James Wood homestead, this spring, located on the north side of Amherst Street, supplied water to Winchester since its beginning and to many a soldier, blue and gray. — Courtesy The Western Reserve Historical Society
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails and Museum of the Shenandoah Valley.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 11.23′ N, 78° 10.64′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia . Marker can be reached from the intersection of Amherst Street (U.S. 50) and Whittier Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Located near the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Amhurst Street, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Glen Burnie (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd (approx. 0.3 miles away); A "Malicious Design" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Daniel Morgan House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Catherine B. Conrad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Little-Holiday House (approx. half a mile away); Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax of Cameron (approx. half a mile away); Braddock Street Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Also see . . .
1. Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location also titled "Glen Burnie". (Submitted on November 13, 2019.)
2. Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation (SVBF). (Submitted on November 13, 2019.)
3. Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. (Submitted on November 13, 2019.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Glen Burnie.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2019, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 4 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 8, 2019, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.