In 1870, the first public school opened on Court Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets with 70 students. This building was outgrown in a few years, and a larger building was built between Eight and Ninth Streets. This school burned on Christmas Day but was rebuilt and used until 1974. The first publicly funded high school in the state opened in Elko at Sixth and Court in 1896, with 43 students. The building served as the Elko County Library until 1974, after the present Elko High School was built on College Avenue
In 1870, the first public school opened on Court Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets with 70 students. This building was outgrown in a few years and a larger building was built between Eight and Ninth Streets. This school burned on Christmas Day, but was rebuilt and used until 1974. The first publicly funded high school in the state opened in Elko at Sixth and Court in 1896 with 43 students. The building served as the Elko County Library until 1974 after the present Elko High School was built on College Avenue in 1918.Ranching has been an important part of Elko since the town's beginning. Since Gold Rush times, cattlemen knew of the thick grasses in the mountain pastures. A drought in California in the early 1870s forced many ranchers eastward over the Sierras and into the Great Basin and Elko County. Successful cattlemen such as Dan Murphy, John Sparks, Pedro and Bernardo Altube, George Russell, “Broadhorns" Bradley, Bill Moffat and others bought or homesteaded large tracts of land and established the cattle industry in Elko County. Elko, centrally located on the railroad, became the center for all a cattleman's needs as well as a shipping point to markets. Today, the ranching industry contributes great economic value to the region.
Since Elko's beginning, the town has always had quality medical care. Medical doctors andnurses offered health care in private homes. Some were loosely regarded as hospitals.
In 1885, the former University of Nevada building on College Avenue was converted to use as a hospital. Other "home-style” private facilities included the Bolling Hospital, Granny Dakin's home and Miss Simonson's home.
In 1921, the Elko General Hospital was built on College Avenue, next to the high school and was owned and managed by Elko County. It was a stately building, designed by well-known Nevada architect, Frederic De Longchamps.
As needed, additions were made to the original
building, which was demolished in 1978. The
facility served Elko and surrounding communities
for the next 77 years. In 1998, the Elko County
Commissioners sold the Elko General Hospital to
a private company. A new, modern, up-to-date
facility was opened on Lamoille Highway in 2001
and continues to offer area residents advanced
Erected 2017 by the City of Elko.
Location. 40° 50.015′ N, 115° 45.63′ W. Marker is in Elko, Nevada, in Elko County. Marker is at the intersection of Railroad Street and 7th Street, on the right when traveling north on Railroad Street. Located in Elko Railroad Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Railroad Street, Elko NV 89801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Categories. • Education • Science & Medicine •
More. Search the internet for Education.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.