Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Zeilitzheim in Landkreis Schweinfurt, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
 

Friedhof von 1608 / Cemetery from 1608

 
 
Friedhof von 1608 / Cemetery from 1608 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 24, 2019
1. Friedhof von 1608 / Cemetery from 1608 Marker
Inscription.  Der jetzige Friedhof wurde 1608 hier angelegt, da der Gottesacker in der Kirchenburg rund um die St. Sigismundkirche zu klein geworden war.

Auf der Sandsteintafel, die rechts neben dem Eingangsportal im Mauerwerk eingelassen ist, sind die Gerichtspersonen von 1608 aufgeführt, mit der Mahnung an die Lebenden:

"HODIE MIHI - CRAS TIBI
mir heute - morgen dir."

Der vorherige Standort dieser Tafel ist ungewiss, da die Kapelle selbst erst 1670 errichtet wurde. Von 1716 bis 1806 war der Friedhof mit Unterbrech- ungen, jeweils nur einer, manchmal auch beiden Glaubensrichtungen vorbehalten.

Seit 1852 gehört er beiden Konfessionen. 1859 erhielt die Kapelle ein Türmchen mit einer Glocke und wurde als Ausweichkirche genutzt. Das große Gottesackerkreuz aus Sandstein bildet seit 1880 den Mittelpunkt.

1897 legte man an der Südseite einen neuen Zugang an. Vorher musste der Leichenzug durch die Kapelle.

1977 Friedhofserweiterung nach Westen.

1978 Entfernung der Kirchenbänke, der Herrschaftsempore (an der Innenseite der Südwand) und des barocken Altares (an der Nordseite). Umgestaltung der Friedhofskapelle

Friedhof von 1608 / Cemetery from 1608 Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 24, 2019
2. Friedhof von 1608 / Cemetery from 1608 Marker - wide view
(Kirche) zur Leichenhalle.

1991, im Rahmen der Dorfstraßenerneuerung, Umgestaltung des Aufganges zum Friedhof mit Pflasterung und Errichtung einer neuen Stützmauer.

Die hervorgehobene Portalanlage an der Ostseite besticht durch ihre exakte und gradlinige Ausführung. Ein Rundbogenportal mit zwei kannelierten Säulen, Rechtecksockeln und halb gewölbten Torsteinen an der Unterseite bildet zusammen mit dem dreistufigen Treppenansatz den Eingangsbereich. Der mehrschichtige Architrav wird von einem Mittel- stein mit aufgehenden Strahlen und Einwölbungen getragen.

Das Wappenschild auf der linken Seite zeigt ein Pflugschar, auf dem rechten ist ein Dolch zu erkennen. Beide stellen bäuerliche Wappen dar.

Auf der doppelflügeligen Holztüre sind schmiedeeiserne Bänder und Einkerbungen zu sehen. In der nördlichen Innenwand des Friedhofes ist im Mauerwerk eine Grabplatte eingelassen. Die umlaufende Schrift auf ihr ist stark verwittert. Im Mittelteil ist eine Brezel noch erkennbar. In den Kirchenstühlen der St. Sigismundkirche war um 1950 neben anderen Handwerkersymbolen eine Brezel abgebildet. Dieses Zeichen weist auf eine Gerichtsperson oder ein Mitglied der Kirchenleitung hin.

An der westlichen Innenmauer liegt eine weitere Grabplatte. Sie zeigt in einem Medaillon am Kopf ein Kreuz und am Fußende einen Totenkopf mit gekreuzten Knochen, sie

Friedhof von 1608 / Cemetery from 1608 Marker - wider view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 24, 2019
3. Friedhof von 1608 / Cemetery from 1608 Marker - wider view
ist stark verwittert und nicht mehr lesbar.

-

(English translation:)

The current cemetery was built here in 1608, as the "God's acre" at the St. Sigismund church had become too small.

On the sandstone table, which is embedded in the masonry right next to the cemetery entrance, is a listing of officials of 1608, with a reminder to the living:

"HODIE MIHI - CRAS TIBI
me today - tomorrow you."

The previous location of this tablet is uncertain, since the chapel itself was not built until 1670. From 1716 to 1806 the cemetery served both denominations (i.e., Catholics and Protestants) intermittently, sometimes only one at a time, sometimes both.

Since 1852 the cemetery has belonged to both denominations. In 1859, the chapel was given a tower with a bell and was used as an alternative church. A large cross of sandstone has been the focal point since 1880.

In 1897, a new entry to the cemetery was put in on the south side. Before that, the funeral procession had to pass through the chapel.

In 1977, the cemetery was extended to the west.

In 1978, the pews, the patrician gallery (on the inside of the south wall) and the baroque altar (on the north side) were removed from the cemetery chapel, transforming it into a morgue.

In 1991, as part of the renovation of the village streets, a new inclined

The cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 24, 2019
4. The cemetery
entrance to the cemetery and a retaining wall are built.

On the east side, the portal is a highlight, impressive in its exact and straightforward design. A rounded arched entryway with two fluted columns, rectangular sockets and half-arched gatestones at the bottom together form a three-level entrance. The multi-layered vaulted architrave is supported by a middle stone with rising rays.

The blazon on the left shows a ploughshare, on the right a dagger is recognizable. Both represent peasant heraldic elements.

Wrought-iron ribbons and notches can be seen on the double-leaf wooden door. In the northern inner wall of the cemetery a gravestone is embedded in the masonry, its writing around the sides are heavily weathered, although in a the middle of the gravestone a pretzel is still recognizable. Around 1950, in the stairs of St. Sigismund church, a pretzel, as well as other crafted symbols were discovered. A pretzel symbolized a court person or a member of the church leadership.

On the cemetery's western inner wall is another gravestone, showing a cross within a medallion at the top of the gravestone, and a skull and crossbones at the foot. The stone is heavily weathered and unreadable. (Marker Number 13a.)
 
Location. 49° 53.845′ N, 10° 15.919′ E. Marker is in

Table with list of church officials in 1608 image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 24, 2019
5. Table with list of church officials in 1608
And at the bottom is the latin phrase, "Hodie Mihi - Cras Tibi" - today me, tomorrow you.
Zeilitzheim, Bavaria, in Landkreis Schweinfurt. Marker is at the intersection of Johann-Pröschel-Straße and Schleifweg, on the right when traveling west on Johann-Pröschel-Straße. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Zeilitzheim, Bavaria 97509, Germany. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spätbarockes Bürgerhaus / Late Baroque Patrician House (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Das Schloss / The Chateau (about 210 meters away); Gasthaus "Zur Sonne" / Inn "at the Sun" (about 210 meters away); ehem. Pfarrhaus - Pfarrhof / Former Rectory - Vicarage (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Rathaus / City Hall (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Ehem. Dorfbrauerei / Former Village Brewery (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Ehemalige Gendarmeriestation / Former Police Station (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Haus der Begegnung / "House of Encounter" (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zeilitzheim.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 

More. Search the internet for Friedhof von 1608 / Cemetery from 1608.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 21, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement